If your kids are anything like mine, the constant search for sugar is like a never ending tug of war. Sometimes I’m strong, and at other times I relent. But the battle rages on, either with me left feeling guilty that my little darlings are lowering their immune systems by consuming junk, or by me feeling guilty that I am depriving them of something to the tune of “everyone else gets them”. Thankfully there is an alternative which gives them both the delicious taste but also a myriad of health benefits - honey, specifically the miraculous Manuka Honey.
Manuka Honey has recently been touted as a superfood and when I began researching it, it became clear why. Full of vitamins, amino acids and disease fighting enzymes, this amazing product can do the lot when it comes to your families health. The only downside is finding genuine Manuka Honey in a world where the market has been flooded with fakes. With that it mind, I sat down at my computer determined to wade through the facts and select a supplier whom I could trust. This led me to the Mr Vitamins website who provide UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) ratings on their honey which allowed me to purchase based on active ingredient strength and quality.
Knowing the UMF rating allowed me to make decisions as to which product would be the most effective for my particular needs. Instead of the usual medicine cabinet full of traditional painkillers and disinfectant, I maintain a natural remedy box which contains strong but natural treatments which are kind to the environment as well as health giving and not detrimental to my family’s well-being.
Up to this point my little box contained a variety of treatments including:
- Apple Cider Vinegar - For acid reflux (try a tablespoon in a glass of water), it promotes healthy cholesterol, aids digestion, kills bacteria, treats lice and infestations and many other uses
- High potency vitamin C powder - if given at regular intervals will lower a fever very quickly
- A range of herbal teas including those which aid sleep and assist with nausea
The only problem with little ones is that things like Apple Cider Vinegar may be effective but getting the little dears to go near it let alone drink it is almost impossible. No such problems with Manuka Honey - the most delicious cure-all ever! So what can having this delicious superfood on hand do? Let’s have a look at just a small sample of ways this marvelous elixir can sweeten your life.
- Improves the immune system - so overall health benefits
- Eases coughs and sore throats - it contains antimicrobial and antibacterial enzymes
- Reduces acid reflux
- Wound healing - the antibacterial properties enable wounds to heal faster. Even harder to heal wounds can benefit.
- Tooth and gum health - reduces plaque and gingivitis
- A natural vitamin tablet - contains a range of vitamins and minerals including B vitamins, calcium, iron and copper
- Aids digestive health - this is a huge benefit as absorption of nutrients can only be optimal when the digestive system is working correctly
- A natural beauty treatment - tightens the pores and removes impurities
As marvellous as this superfood is, please avoid giving it to children under the age of 18 months and if you have a bee allergy it would be prudent to avoid it.
As you can see by the above list, Manuka Honey is truly a must-have for any parent seriously looking for alternative natural treatments for their family. It can be incorporated easily into the diet, replacing standard honey in recipes or eaten on it’s own. Truly Manuka Honey is the most adaptable, delicious ingredient available today for all round good health. Enjoy!
This was a Guest Post by Hubert Dwight